Pillaton in the 1930's

The following transcription from Kelly's Directory of Cornwall (Published London, 1939) gives some idea of the make up of the parish and who lived where on the eve of the Second World War. It is interesting to note that the telephone has made a significant appearance with about a quarter of those listed below now having one.

PILLATON is a parish and village on the river Lynher, 7 miles north from St. Germans station, and 6 north-west from Saltash on the Great Western railway, in the Bodmin division of the county, middle division of the hundred of East, petty sessional division of East Middle, rural district of St. Germans, county court district of Plymouth, rural deanery of East Wivelshire, archdeaconry of Bodmin and diocese of Truro. The church of St. Odulph is an edifice of stone in the Perpendicular style, consisting of chancel, nave of six bays, north aisle, south transept, south porch and a lofty embattled western tower, with pinnacles, containing 6 bells, of which the first two were recast in 1809; the tenor is undated: the fourth bell was presented in 1909 by William Hawk esq. of Kernock, in memory of his wife and her parents. The fifth and sixth were added in the same year, when the three old bells were rehung: the tower was restored in 1900: in the chancel is a memorial window to the Rev. Henry Woollcombe M.A. nearly 40 years rector, d. 1861, and another to the Rev. John E. White, erected by his widow in 1878: the oak eagle lectern was presented in 1917 in memory of Sub.-Lt. William Hocking R.N.: there is an aumbry in the transept, and a curious stone recess in the north aisle: the monuments are of modern date: the church was restored in 1878: in 1929 a carved oak parclose screen was erected: the church was reseated in oak in 1912: there are 200 sittings. The register dates from the year 1557. The living is a rectory, net yearly value £290, including 33 acres of glebe, with residence, in the gift of the Dean and Chapter of Truro, and held since 1894 by the Rev. Richard Hocking. There is a Methodist chapel in the village, with about 100 sittings, and another at Polbarder (sic), erected in 1861. A fair for pleasure and cattle is held on Whitsun Tuesday. Pentillie castle, the seat of Capt. John Tillie Coryton J.P. is 2½ miles east of Pillaton, on the west bank of the Tamar. The mansion is of stone with an embattled parapet and a square embattled tower, from which a commanding view of the river Tamar and surrounding country is obtained; the entrance hall has a fine stained window; north of the castle is a wooded hill called "Mount Ararat," on which Sir James Tillie kt. the original builder of Pentillie Castle, erected in 1712 a small tower, within which, by his own desire, he was buried, his effigy in marble being placed in the upper room. Capt. John Tillie Coryton J.P. and the Duchy of Cornwall are the principal landowners. The soil is clay and slate; subsoil, slate and freestone. The chief crops are cereals, roots and potatoes. The area is 2,901 acres of land and inland water, 8 of water and 6 of foreshore; the population in 1931 was 343 in the civil and 317 in the ecclesiastical parish.

By Local Government Board Order, No. 31,778, part of St. Stephen was, in 1894, annexed to Pillaton.

Post Office. Letters through St. Mellion, nearest M. O. & T. office

  • PRIVATE RESIDENTS.
  • (For T N's see general list of Private Residents at end of book.) (Not included here)
  • Coryton Capt. John Tille J.P. Pentillie Castle
  • Hawk William C.B.E., J.P. Kernock
  • Hawk William, jun. Howton
  • Hocking Rev. Richd. (rector), Rectory

  • COMMERCIAL.
  • Marked thus ° farm 150 acres or over.
  • Algar Edwd. farmer, Craddock, Moditon. St. Dominic 46
  • Balsdon Mons, poultry farmer
  • Bond Jn. farmer, Trewashford
  • Dawe Henry Walter, farmer, Mushton
  • Deacon Wm. Thos. blacksmith, Paynters Cross
  • Fishleigh Norman Jn. smallholder, Ford
  • Frontom Jn. farmer, New ho
  • °Gregory Jn. Geo. farmer, Saunton & Tremoan
  • Hancock Albt. Alfd. farmer, Trehill
  • Hawk Jn. Clemence, farmer, Kernock. St. Dominic 33
  • °Hawk Wm. jun. farmer, Howton. St. Dominic 13
  • Herring Christopher, fruit grower, Woodland
  • Higman Alberta Kate (Mrs.), miller (water), Pillaton mill
  • Jermy Robert, estate agent to Capt. J. T. Coryton J.P. Pentillie estate office
  • °Lucas Courtney Olver, farmer, Leigh
  • °Martin Thos. Harold, farmer, Polbordor (sic). St. Dominic 28
  • Pearce Ada (Miss), grocer
  • Pearce Frank Bartlett, farmer
  • Pearce Voysey & Sydney, farmers, Rowse farm
  • Pendray Sydney Newton, frmr. Beira
  • Renfree A. J. farmer, Bush farm
  • Royal Oak P.H. (Mrs. Alice May Balsdon)
  • Stephens Alfd. Hy. Regnld. farmer, Rick pk
  • Tamblyn Horace Cobden, farmer, Briston. St. Dominic 40
  • Tamblyn Jn. Morley, farmer, rate collector & registrar for births & deaths, North Sillaton
  • °Tamblyn Morley, farmer, South Sillaton. St. Dominic 44
  • °Tamblyn Thos. Cobden J.P. farmer, Smeaton
  • Warne Jsph. Stanley, farmer, Pillaton Barton
  • Wooldridge Thos. farmer, Low. Trewashford
Last updated: 4 August 2012 Contact Us