Pillaton in the 1910's
The following transcription from Kelly's Post Office Directory of Cornwall (Published London, 1914) gives some idea of the fabric of the parish and who lived where in the period leading up to the First World War.
PILLATON is a parish and village on the river Lynher, 7 miles north from St. Germans station, and 6 north-west from Saltash on the Great Western railway, in the North Eastern division of the county, middle division of the hundred of East, petty sessional division of East Middle, St. Germans union, county court district of Plymouth, rural deanery of East, archdeaconry of Bodmin and diocese of Truro. The church of St. Odulph is an edifice of stone in the Perpendicular style, consisting of chancel, nave of six bays, north aisle, south transept, south porch and a lofty embattled western tower, with pinnacles, containing 6 bells, of which the first two were cast in 1809; the tenor is undated: the fourth bell was presented in 1909 by William Hawk esq. of Kernock, in memory of his wife and her parents. The fifth and sixth were added in the same year when the three old bells were rehung at a cost of £410: in the chancel is a memorial window to the Rev. Henry Woollcombe M.A. nearly 40 years rector, d. 1861, and another to the Rev. John E. White, erected by his widow in 1878: there is an aumbry in the transept, and a curious stone recess in the north aisle; the monuments are of modern date: the church was restored in 1878 at a cost of £800, and the tower in 1900 at a cost of £250: there are 200 sittings. The register dates from the year 1557. The living is a rectory, net yearly value £155, including 33 acres of glebe, with residence, in the gift of Digby Collins, esq. of Newton Ferrers, and held since 1894 by the Rev. Richard Hocking. There is a Wesleyan chapel, with about 100 sittings, and a United Methodist chapel at Polborder, erected in 1861. A fair for pleasure and cattle is held on Whitsun Tuesday. Pentillie castle, the seat of William Coryton esq. D.L., J.P. and master of the Dartmoor Fox Hounds, is 2½ miles east of Pillaton, on the west bank of the Tamar. The mansion is of stone with embattled parapet and a square embattled tower, from which a commanding view of the river Tamar and surrounding country is obtained; it was erected from designs by W. Wilkins esq. architect; the entrance hall has a fine stained window; north of the castle is a wooded hill called "Mount Ararat," on which Sir James Tillie kt. the original builder of Pentillie Castle, erected in 1712 a small tower, within which, by his own desire, he was buried, his effigy in marble being placed in the upper room. Digby Collins, esq. of Newton Ferrers ,who is lord of the manor, William Coryton esq. and the Duchy of Cornwall are the principal landowners. The soil is clay and slate; subsoil, slate and freestone. The chief crops are cereals, roots and potatoes. The area is 2,898 acres of land, 4 of water, 8 of tidal water and 6 of foreshore; assessable value, £1,879; the population in 1911 was 405 in the civil and 368 in the ecclesiastical parish.
Deputy Sexton, Samuel Dolly.
By Local Government Board Order, No. 31,778, part of St. Stephen was, in 1894, annexed to Pillaton.
Post Office. --- Nun Barrett, sub-postmaster. Letters through St. Mellion, arrive at 7.30 a.m. & 5.40 p.m.; dispatched 9.30 a.m. & 5.5 p.m. week days only. St. Mellion, about 2 miles distant, which is the nearest money order & telegraph office.
Public Elementary School (mixed), for 60 children; average attendance, 36; Miss Mary Lucas, mistress
This school is under the control of the Saltash & Callington District Education Committee; Alfred Burden, Education office, Saltash, clerk.
- Coryton Wm, D.L., J.P. Pentillie castle
- Hawk William J.P. Kernock
- Hocking Rev. Richd. (vicar), Rectory
- Ball Samuel, farmer, Bush farm
- Castle George, estate agent to Wm. Coryton esq. D.L., J.P. Paynters Cross.
- Crago Thomas, farmer, Newhouse
- Daw Henry Walter, farmer, Mushton
- Deacon William & Sons, smiths, Painters Cross
- Dolly Samuel, fruit grower, Glebe
- Drown John S, agricultural implement maker, machine agent & general smith (turn-wrest ploughs), folding horse rakes & lever cultivators & chiselers &c.; established 1815
- Elliott James, farmer, Smeaton
- Fowell Daniel, farmer, Moditon
- Gregory George, farmer, Saunton
- Hawk William, farmer, Kernock
- Herring Christopher, fruit grower, Woodland
- Herring John, farmer, Tremoan
- Lucas George, farmer, Leigh
- Lucas James, farmer, Briston
- Lucas William C, farmer, Ford
- Pearce Charles, farmer, Rouse farm
- Pearce John Thomas, carpenter
- Pearce William, Royal Oak P.H. & grcr
- Prideaux Thomas, farmer, Howton
- Stevens Albt. Wm, farmer & butcher
- Stevens Harold, miller (water), Pillaton mill
- Tamblyn Ewart Gladstone, farmer, Bearah
- Tamblyn Jeremiah, farmer, Polborder
- Tamblyn Jonathan, thrashing machine owner, Polborder
- Tamblyn Thomas Cobden, farmer, North Sillaton
- Tamblyn Wm. farmer, South Sillaton
- Tucker James, farmer, Pillaton farm
- Tucker William, farmer, Trewashford